×

Not just another beauty blog...

Creamy Vegan Garlic Pasta

Update 24.01.19 I've been vegetarian for over a year and a half now and have been giving Veganuary a go as well, so I thought I'd re-share this favourite vegan dish for some inspiration. 

I haven't discussed it here on the blog yet, but I've been giving vegetarianism a go ever since watching a truly shocking documentary called 'Earthlings' a while ago. The documentary was really difficult to watch and there are some images that have stuck with me ever since, so having given the idea of vegetarianism some thought on and off for a couple of years, I thought I'd make the change and eliminate meat and fish from my diet and see what happened. I haven't gone full vegan, yet, although it's not off the cards, but where I can I will see if I can stick to a vegan meal without it causing too much of an issue. 



So having a quick google to look for a nice pasta recipe I came across this one for Creamy Vegan Garlic Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes from the Minimalist Baker blog (great blog, check it out if you want quick, easy and delicious recipes). It makes sense really that you can still make a delicious creamy pasta sauce, similar to a traditional béchamel, just substituting cows milk for a non-dairy alternative so I thought I'd give it a go!

Ingredients:
Pasta - I used brown rice pasta and just eyeballed the normal amount I do for three people so we had leftovers
1 onion (the recipe on the Minimalist Baker blog used 2 shallots but I already had an onion in)
6-8 garlic cloves (I used 6, the recipe calls for 8, I found that 6 was PLENTY and I love garlic, but feel free to use the whole amount if you wish!)
450g plum tomatoes (I had about 300 so just used what I had in, doesn't make too much difference)
600ml almond milk 
3-4 tablespoons flour (I used three and found this was enough but it can depend on the flour)
Olive oil

Optional:
Spinach (not in the original recipe but I tend to throw spinach into a lot of things to give an extra bit of nutrition and colour, plus you can't really taste it

Method:
I stuck to the original method pretty closely so do go over to the website to find the details of how to make it (it's really easy). One thing I would say is the recipe gives the option to leave the sauce with the onion and garlic chunks in, or to blend them until smooth, I chose to blend them and would recommend this method as it gave a gorgeous creamy texture and made the appearance of the dish much nicer as well. Doing this means you could also use any leftover sauce (I found there was a very generous amount and I didn't want my pasta completely drowned) poured over a jacket potato or maybe even used as a dip the next day (or poured over chicken/fish if you're non-veggie). 

The dish was absolutely delicious so make sure to give it a go, even if you're not vegan!

Have you got any favourite vegetarian dishes that you'd recommend?







No comments

Copyright © Sophie ElgarCREATED BY ThemeShine